Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Politics

Hamas ‘serious’ about reaching ceasefire agreement but insists on long-standing demands

Hamas confirmed on Wednesday that it is ‘ready to accept’ a ceasefire agreement with Israel, but did not endorse a 60-day pause put forward by President Donald Trump on Tuesday.

Hamas official Taher al-Nunu said the terrorist organization is ‘ready to accept any initiative that clearly leads to the complete end to the war.’ Trump has increasingly pressured Israel and Hamas to accept a ceasefire, but the details of such an agreement still have not been worked out.

A Hamas delegation is expected to meet with Egyptian and Qatari mediators in Cairo on Wednesday to discuss Trump’s proposal, according to an Egyptian official.

Hamas has previously said it was willing to release the remaining 50 hostages as part of a ceasefire agreement, though it has noted that fewer than half of the hostages are still alive. In return, however, Hamas demands that Israel fully withdraw from Gaza and end the war.

Meanwhile, Israel has said Hamas must surrender, disarm and exile itself from Gaza.

An Israeli official said the latest proposal calls for a 60-day deal that would include a partial Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and a surge in humanitarian aid to the territory. The mediators and the U.S. would provide assurances about talks to end the war, but Israel is not committing to that as part of the latest proposal, the official said.

Roughly 10 hostages would be released under the agreement.

Trump announced the ceasefire proposal in a Tuesday statement on social media.

‘My Representatives had a long and productive meeting with the Israelis today on Gaza. Israel has agreed to the necessary conditions to finalize the 60 Day CEASEFIRE, during which time we will work with all parties to end the War,’ Trump wrote on Truth Social. 

‘The Qataris and Egyptians, who have worked very hard to help bring Peace, will deliver this final proposal. I hope, for the good of the Middle East, that Hamas takes this Deal, because it will not get better – IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE. Thank you for your attention to this matter!’ he added.

‘Israel is serious in its will to reach a hostage deal and ceasefire in Gaza,’ Israeli Minister of Foreign Affairs Gideon Sa’ar said Monday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

You May Also Like

Stock

Earnings season may be winding down, but a few standout names could still make headlines this week. If you’re looking for potential moves, keep...

Business

Peloton on Tuesday launched its own marketplace for reselling used equipment and gear as the company looks to capitalize on the many bikes and...

Stock

After consolidating for two weeks, the Nifty finally appeared to be flexing its muscles for a potential move higher. Over the past five sessions,...

Stock

Micron Technology, Inc. (MU) appears poised for an explosive breakout, both technically and fundamentally. While it remains to be seen whether this materializes by...